transp. transp. transp. transp. transp. transp. transp.
Civic Art      
Los Angeles County Arts Commission Arts Education Arts Resources Grants and Professional Growth Ford Theatres Public Special Events Publications and Announcements

County Collection

Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration

The Law Givers

Artist:
Albert Stewart
Date:
1960
Region:
Downtown LA
District:
First
Location:
Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration
500 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Architect:
J.E. Stanton, William Stockwell, Paul R. Williams, Adrian Wilson
Department:
Internal Services Department

Click for larger photos

Project Description

The Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration is situated on the Civic Center Mall across from the Stanley Mosk Courthouse. The two buildings were executed within a few years of one another by mostly the same design team of architects. Gold-colored replicas of two of the Courthouse’s bas-relief exterior figures, Mosaic Law and Declaration of Independence, are situated on the southern façade of the County Hall of Administration. 

Information provided courtesy of Michael Several, Los Angeles, January 1998. 
For further information, see
www.publicartinla.com.

See Albert Stewart, Stanley Mosk Courthouse
and Albert Stewart, Fort Moore Pioneer Monument

About the Artist

Albert Stewart (1900–1965) was born in London and emigrated to the U.S. as a child with his family. He studied at the Beaux Arts Institute and the Art Student’s League in New York City, and served as an assistant to sculptors Frederick MacMonnies and Paul Manship before he began sculpting in the 1930s. Stewart taught sculpture at Scripps College in Claremont for 25 years. Notable works include figures on the Scottish Rites Temple on Wilshire Boulevard and on the exterior of the Life Science Building at UCLA.