The Los Angeles County Arts Commission fosters excellence, diversity, vitality, understanding and accessibility of the arts in Los Angeles County. The Commission provides leadership in cultural services for the County, including information and resources for the community, artists, educators, arts organizations and municipalities.
The following position are currently available:
Administrative and Events Assistant, Ford Theatres
Communications and Marketing Intern
Director of Civic Art
Ticketing Associate, Ford Theatres
EMPLOYER: Los Angeles County Arts Commission/Ford Theatres
POSITION: Administrative and Events Assistant, Ford Theatres (Full time, contract)
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission has an immediate opening for a self-motivated and detail-oriented Administrative and Events Assistant who is passionate about organization, data and arts administration. The Administrative and Events Assistant will support the Arts Commission's Productions Division including the activities and operations of the John Anson Ford Theatres, the Los Angeles County Holiday Celebration, and the Free Concerts in Public Sites and Musicians Roster programs.
- Maintain the Ford's event management systems, ensuring event related information is collected from all operational areas and entered into a central repository
- Manage and oversee application procedures on the Arts Commission's online application system, including building and editing applications; preparing guidelines, evaluations, reports and other administrative documentation; providing technical support to applicants; and coordinating application workshops and review panels
- Maintain database of program and event information and generate standard program contracts, event reports and program-related collateral
- Provide technical assistance and coordination for Arts Commission's technology resources, including email communication (Emma), surveys (SurveyMonkey), workshop registration (Eventbrite), webinars (WebEx) and other services
- Coordinate procurement of equipment, supplies and orders for program implementation
- Support day-to-day operational activities of administrative office, including but not limited to, updating the Ford's Master Calendar of events, maintaining financial and budget-related data entry systems, representing the Ford Theatres and Public Events programs to the public via email, phone and direct personal communication, and other duties as assigned
PROJECT PERIOD: Ongoing
WORKING HOURS: Full time, 40 hours per week. Due to the nature of the work, some evening and weekend hours will be required to attend meetings, festivals, workshops and performances.
PROJECT LOCATION: Ford Theatres, 2580 Cahuenga Blvd East, Hollywood, CA 90068. Position may also be required to attend events at community sites located in Los Angeles County.
ESSENTIAL QUALITIES AND ABILITIES:
- Be highly organized, attentive to detail, have a proactive communication style, work efficiently and meet multiple and competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
- Ability to present both oral and written information in a poised, culturally sensitive and professional manner
- Ability to facilitate productive, outcome-focused meetings with staff and artists/producers participating in Arts Commissions programs
- Ability to manage projects from inception to completion and all steps in between
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently and interact effectively with a wide variety of people
- Be self-possessed, practice discretion with sensitive information, and demonstrate grace under pressure and in interactions with others
- Be dependable, responsive, prepared and flexible, and possess enthusiasm and passion for supporting the arts
- Technologically literate and savvy with strong command of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and enthusiastic about learning new software and database systems. Knowledge of or experience with Quickbooks or other bookkeeping software a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a sense of humor are essential
Desirable qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- At least two years of program administration and project development experience in a staff capacity
- Familiarity and comfort working with people of diverse backgrounds, experiences and styles of communication
- Fluency in oral and written Spanish is highly valued
COMPENSATION: $38,000 annually, plus additional stipend toward health and dental coverage.
HOW TO APPLY: Candidates are invited to submit a cover letter explaining why this position is of interest, resume, writing sample and a list of three references. All submissions should be emailed to email@example.com with Administrative and Events Assistant as the subject line. Please do not submit any application materials through the US mail or phone regarding the status of the submission. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Position will remain open until the staffing need is met.
BACKGROUND: The Ford Theatres bring people together for transformative arts experiences that inspire, empower and ignite cultural exchange. Owned and operated by the County of Los Angeles and located in a 32-acre County regional park, the facility is run through a three-way partnership between the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, the Department of Parks and Recreation and the Ford Theatre Foundation. The John Anson Ford Theatres complex is one of the oldest performing arts venues in Los Agneles still in use. Each year, the Ford partners with LA County-based arts organizations to present an eclectic season of culturally diverse music, dance, theatre, film and family events. fordtheatres.org
EMPLOYER: Los Angeles County Arts Commission
POSITION: Communications and Marketing Intern
CLOSING DATE: February 22, 2016
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The Los Angeles County Arts Commission is in search of a part-time Communications and Marketing Intern to assist with e-communications, social media, PR and marketing needs Commission-wide. This is a multi-faceted opportunity in which the candidate will work directly with professionals in grant-making, arts education, civic art and event production, all while gaining valuable public relations and marketing experience.
SUMMARY OF PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with implementation of a Commission-wide external e-communications strategy, including division-specific e-newsletter support
- Develop editorial content for the Ford Theatres and Antelope Valley Outpost blogs
- Format and copy edit a monthly memo for Arts Commission stakeholders
- Research social media platforms such as Snapchat, Periscope, etc. and develop effective applications for the Arts Commission and Ford Theatres
- Create and implement Instagram campaigns for Arts Commission and Ford Theatres
- Create three tweets a week for Arts for All Twitter account
- Assist in strategic roll-out of County Civic Art inventory project and make recommendations for sharing on social media
PR and Marketing
- Monitor press coverage and archive press clippings
- Assist all divisions with day-to-day communications needs including, but not limited to, copy editing documents, conducting online research and providing graphic design support
- Provide support at offsite events as needed
PROJECT PERIOD: March-May 2016 (10 weeks total)
WORKING HOURS: Flexible, 15-20 hours per week
PROJECT LOCATION: 1055 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 800, Los Angeles, CA 90017
- Background in marketing and public relations, journalism, communications
- Social media familiarity
- Interest in arts and culture in Los Angeles County
- Strong writing skills; fluency in oral and written Spanish is a plus
- Comfortable using Windows-based computer and familiar with Microsoft Office suite
- Familiarity with the Adobe Design suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator
ESSENTIAL QUALITIES AND ABILITIES:
- Consistent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to be proactive, to plan ahead, to stay organized and to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to successfully interact with a wide variety of people on and off-site
- Strong presentation skills, including ability to present oral and written information in a poised, persuasive and professional manner
- Able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Most importantly, candidate must be reliable and possess enthusiasm and dedication for the arts and the task at hand
COMPENSATION: $2,500 stipend and college credit (if applicable)
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with Communications and Marketing Intern in the subject line. Please do not submit any application materials through the US mail or phone regarding status of the submission. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
EMPLOYER: Ford Theatre Foundation
POSITION: Development Associate
The Ford Theatre Foundation seeks a full-time Development Associate. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position will provide critical administrative support for all development related activities of the Foundation with heavy emphasis on grant writing, prospect research and administration. Assigned duties will also include donor cultivation and stewardship activities, gift processing, donor database management, campaign and event support, and board meeting and recruitment facilitation.
- Write and submit grant proposals and reports to foundation, corporate and government funders.
- Manage the grant tracking system by monitoring proposal and reporting deadlines.
- Perform prospect research on potential funders to continually seek out new sources of support.
- Work with the Operations Manager to gather information necessary for accurate financial reporting to funders.
- Facilitate funder relationships by creating and sending acknowledgement letters, coordinating meetings and site visits, and providing updates and information to grantors as needed.
- Maintain the donor database by ensuring accurate documentation of gift and donor contact information and tracking donor engagement.
- Steward donors by providing prompt, personalized acknowledgement of gifts and coordinating administration of donor benefits.
- Prepare and disseminate board meeting materials, including board minutes, reports and agendas.
- Coordinate logistics and provide staff support for fundraising and donor cultivation events.
- Support the annual fund, fundraising campaigns and other funding initiatives, including creating content for social media, direct mailings and other donor related collateral.
- Perform a variety of donor related tasks as assigned.
PROJECT PERIOD: Ongoing
WORKING HOURS: Full-time, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday with occasional weekend and evening hours.
PROJECT LOCATION: Los Angeles County Arts Commission located at 1055 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 800, Los Angeles, CA 90017
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION/SKILLS: Desireable qualifications include a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university; exceptional verbal and written communication skills appropriate for a nonprofit business environment; proficiency working with Windows-based computers and MS Windows Suite of software (Excel, Outlook, Word, Publisher, PowerPoint).
ESSENTIAL QUALITIES AND ABILITIES: Ideal candidate will have 2-3 years related experience with strong writing skills. The Development Associate will also demonstrate consistent attention to detail and accuracy; ability to stay organized and meet multiple and competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment; ability to be proactive and plan ahead; ability and willingness to learn new software and administrative systems; ability to present information in a poised and professional manner; ability to work both collaboratively and independently and interact effectively with a wide variety of people on and off site. Candidate must be self-possessed, practice discretion with sensitive information, demonstrate grace under pressure and in their interactions with others, be reliable, and possess enthusiasm and dedication for the arts and the task at hand.
COMPENSATION: $40,000 plus health and dental benefits.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to the attention of Louanne Brazil, Director of Development, at email@example.com. In the subject line, please include Development Associate—[Applicant Name]. No phone calls, please.
BACKGROUND: The John Anson Ford Theatres complex, one of the oldest performing arts venues in Los Angeles still in use, includes the historic 1,200-seat Ford Amphitheatre. Since its creation in 1994, the Ford Theatre Foundation, a nonprofit organization, has played a key role in making the John Anson Ford Theatres a center that fosters the excellence, diversity, vitality, accessibility and appreciation of the performing arts in Los Angeles County. The Foundation, in partnership with the Los Angeles County Arts Commission and Department of Parks and Recreation, supports programs that nurture artists, arts organizations and community, providing a gateway for the people of greater Los Angeles to discover and enjoy cultures of their region and the world. To learn more about the Ford, please visit fordtheatres.org.
Director of Civic Art Program
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission is seeking a Driector of its Civic Art Program. This program, which allocates 1% of County capital projects for public art, began in 2005. This position has overall responsibility for planning, developing and implementing one of the largest public art programs in the country, with close to 50 projects underway at any given time ranging in size from $10,000 to $1 million. In addition, the Civic Art Program has initiated and implemented creative placemaking projects and numerous cross sector projects around issues such as graffiti abatement and waste management. The Director of Civic Art must develop and articulate a broad vision for the Civic Art Program and motivate others to embrace that vision.
The Director of Civic Art oversees a team of project managers, a collections manager and registrar, and a program coordinator. The position reports to the Executive Director of the Arts Commission.
The successful candidate will offer the following skills and experience:
• Knowledge of the field of public art, including artists working in the public art realm and contemporary trends and practices in the field, including creative placemaking.
• Structure, functioning and protocol of local government, public agencies and community groups.
• Skill in project management, including managing budgets, timelines and work schedules; understanding of construction methods and materials; and integration of the public art component into the underlying capital project.
• Skill in negotiating agreements and developing consensus around complex issues and situations.
• Outstanding oral and written communication.
• Group dynamics and community organizing techniques.
• Skill in recruiting, supervising and motivating professional staff.
• Ability to form productive working relationships with design and construction professionals, as well as professionals within other County departments.
• Ability to manage a multi-faceted workload with self-motivation under broad general supervision.
The successful candidate will be a senior level public arts administrator with a minimum of five years of professional experience administering arts programs, including public arts programs. A Bachelor’s degree in public administration, arts administration, visual arts, architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning or a related field is desired.
This is a full-time employee position: $79,085 - $119,702 with full benefits, including matching deferred savings plans and retirement. Placement within the range will be commensurate with candidate's qualifications and current salary.
Please submit a cover letter stating why the position is of interest, resume, a list of three references and salary history to: Miriam Gonzalez via employment email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position may close at any time.
EMPLOYER: Los Angeles County Arts Commission/Ford Theatres
POSITION: Ticketing Associate, Ford Theatres (Part-time Seasonal)
CLOSING DATE: When filled
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The Ford Theatres, operated by the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, seeks a self-motivated, service-oriented Ticketing Associate to provide quality customer service for its 2016 re-opening summer season following an extensive renovation. Ticketing Associate will perform a variety of administrative box office duties autonomously and will serve as the patron's first point of contact with the Ford Theatres. Duties include, but are not limited to, phone and in-person ticket sales, group sales and patron data collection analysis.
PROJECT PERIOD: April-October 2016
WORKING HOURS: 20 hours per week in the months of April-June, with the potential for more hours during the months of July-October. During April-June, applicant must have the ability to work Tuesday-Friday, 12:15-5:15 p.m. During July-October, applicant must have the ability to work flexible hours and commit to a minimum of five shifts per week, which may take place during regular box office hours (Tuesday through Sunday, 12:00-5:00 p.m.), event show times (between approximately 5:00 and 10:00 p.m. on weekends and weeknights) or weekend morning event times (Saturdays, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.).
PROJECT LOCATION: Ford Theatres, 2580 Cahuenga Boulevard East, Hollywood, CA 90068
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE/SKILLS/QUALITIES: Ideal candidates for this position will be personable, with experience providing excellent customer service to diverse communities. Qualified applicants will have basic administrative experience, with a strong attention to detail and a proactive work ethic. Applicants should be comfortable with Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word, as well as learning a new web-based ticketing system and database. Previous cash handling and/or box office experience is desired. Multilingual skills are desired but not required; those fluent in another language (especially Spanish) are encouraged to apply. Interest or background in the arts is desired but not required.
COMPENSATION: Starts at $12 per hour with the opportunity for promotion to Manager on Duty position for certain events. This is a part-time, temporary position.
HOW TO APPLY: Candidates are invted to submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references. All submissions should be emailed to the attention of Ford Theatres Box Office Manager Jessie Towers at email@example.com, with Ticketing Associate, Ford Theatres as the subject line. Please do not submit any application materials through the US mail or phone regarding the status of submission. Only complete applications will be considered. Applications will be reviewed starting in February and qualified candidates will be contacted for interview in late February or early March 2016. Position will remain open until the staffing need is met and may close without advance notice. No phone calls, please.
BACKGROUND: The Ford Theatres bring people together for transformative arts experiences that inspire, empower and ignite cultural exchange. Located in a 32-acre County regional park, the 1,200 seat facility is one of the oldest performing arts venues in Los Angeles. The Ford is operated through a three-way partnership between the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, LA County Department of Parks and Recreation and the Ford Theatre Foundation. fordtheatres.org