record 1 of 1

The Law Givers

Artist
Albert Stewart
Year
1960
Artwork Type
Sculpture
Media & Support
Glazed terra cotta
Dimensions
16 ft.x 5 ft.x 3 ft.* (4.9 x 1.5 x 0.9 m)
Department
Internal Services
Location
Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration
500 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA
District
1
To save this page, please use the following URL:
https://www.lacountyarts.org/civicart/objects-1/info/201

Location

Latitude: -118.245797 - Longitude: 34.056991
Image: The Law Givers

Additional Images

Image: Image:

Description

The Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration is situated on the Civic Center Mall across from the Stanley Mosk Courthouse. The two buildings were executed within a few years of one another by mostly the same design team of architects. Gold-colored replicas of two of the Courthouse’s bas-relief exterior figures, Mosaic Law and Declaration of Independence, are situated on the southern façade of the Los Angeles County Hall of Administration.  

Information provided courtesy of Michael Several, Los Angeles, January 1998.  
For further information, see http://www.publicartinla.com/

About the Artist

Albert Stewart (1900–1965) was born in London and emigrated to the U.S. as a child with his family. He studied at the Beaux Arts Institute and the Art Student’s League in New York City, and served as an assistant to sculptors Frederick MacMonnies and Paul Manship before he began sculpting in the 1930s. Stewart taught sculpture at Scripps College in Claremont for 25 years. Notable works include figures on the Scottish Rites Temple on Wilshire Boulevard and on the exterior of the Life Science Building at UCLA.