In a part-time position (approximately 20 hours/week from June through November), provide support to Esperanza Community Housing in transforming the community of South Los Angeles into a lively, healthy, creative, and resilient place with the arts at its core. The Arts & Culture Intern plays an integral and multi-faceted role in Esperanza's mission to achieve comprehensive community development. You will work with local artists, arts organizations, and community development practitioners who deliberately integrate arts and culture into community revitalization work—placing arts at the table with land-use, transportation, economic development, education, housing, infrastructure, and public safety strategies.
- Passion for social justice work
- Strong interest in art, education, cultural studies, or media studies strongly desired
- Some knowledge of community development or a willingness to learn
- Highly creative and innovative
- Enthusiasm for community-driven work and working with a small team that has a big agenda
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Ability to problem solve, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills, including Google Drive
- Graphic Design skills preferred
- Excitement for harnessing the power of social media to advance social justice issues
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
- Occasional weekend and evening availability required
Founded in 1989 to address displacement and housing insecurity in South Central Los Angeles, Esperanza Community Housing Corporation (Esperanza) has grown into a nationally recognized social justice organization engaged in comprehensive community development through our core program areas: affordable housing, health equity and access to care, arts and culture, economic development, and environmental justice. Esperanza is an established nonprofit organization that works collaboratively with local residents to actively support a vibrant community by preserving the rich heritage and advancing the economic strength of the neighborhoods in South Los Angeles.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The subject line should read "Arts & Culture Intern".