Free Arts uses art to restore hope, resiliency and self-esteem in children in Los Angeles ages 4-18 who have experienced abuse, neglect, poverty, and/or homelessness. Free Arts creates a safe environment where children can feel, understand, and express their emotions and begin to recover and gain a sense of mastery and empowerment. Art is used as a process to develop and cultivate leadership skills, self-esteem, resiliency, and a belief in a positive future.
The mentorship intern will focus on mentoring students remotely with our partners. We are looking for interns who are interested in learning to create and facilitate art lessons through an art therapy lens with groups of students across LA county. The position will include significant face-to-face interaction online with students so willingness to interact with students is a must. This position will be fully remote at about 15 hours a week, with the possibility of moving to in-office given LA County reopening. Mentorship intern duties include:
- Work together with the Program Coordinator to create lesson plans,
- Learning Trauma informed and Healing Centered approaches to facilitating lessons,
- Maintain communication with site coordinators,
- Facilitate art lessons with group of students of different ages.
A background in the arts, or media is preferred, but not required. The intern should possess good community skills and sound judgment, be self-motivated and have an interest in learning about arts programming for youth. Other helpful skills/attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Competency in Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Experience with databases
- Ability to work well and collaboratively with a fast-paced, high-performing team.
How to Apply
To apply for this internship, please submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com and indicate "Free Arts Mentoring Program Internship" in the subject line of your email.