The mission of LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes is to celebrate and cultivate an appreciation for the enduring and evolving influence of Mexican and Mexican American culture, with a specific focus upon the unique Mexican American experience in Los Angeles and Southern California. Through dynamic multidisciplinary programs and interactive exhibits, LA Plaza offers an engaging path to cultural self-discovery and the appreciation of personal, familial, and community heritage.
Due to the pandemic, LA Plaza has shifted its public programs to an online platform hosting weekly conversations with artists, activists, academics; as well as online cooking demonstrations with chefs and restaurateurs. LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes seeks a highly energetic Programs Intern to work closely with the Senior Curator of Programs to research chefs, speakers, and performers for both its online program series, as well as in anticipation of resumed in-person programs in 2021. The intern’s final project will include proposing chefs for three different program series, finalizing speakers and performers for a 2021 summer film series, and proposing a 2021 holiday-inspired family day with performers and vendors. Be part of a dynamic team while experiencing various elements of event production, including marketing and social media campaigns. This internship will start remote with the possibility of transitioning to on site if conditions improve. The intern will work about 15 hours a week from September through March.
The ideal internship candidate will be a passionate, energetic, and outgoing individual who demonstrates a high degree of self-initiative, meticulousness, and responsibility. Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following interests and abilities:
- Interest in learning about Mexican and Mexican American history and culture in Los Angeles Interest in the performing arts, especially as it relates to Mexican, Mexican American, Latino, and Los Angeles history and experiences.
- Computer, research, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Highly motivated and positive team player.
- Bilingual, English/Spanish highly desired, but not required.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Desire to serve the local community.
- Familiarity with online social media tools
- Flexible schedule (ability to work select evenings and weekends for program events).
How to Apply
To apply, please email cover letter and resume. The cover letter should address how the internship experience might impact long-range academic and career goals. Finalists will be asked to provide two writing samples. Please submit application materials to email@example.com