PEN America Los Angeles is a branch of PEN International, the world's leading international literary and human rights organization. PEN America Los Angeles offers Freedom to Write programming, manifested in four channels of action: the FTW Advocacy Network, the Emerging Voices Fellowship, PEN in the Community, and the annual Literary Awards. Each of these programs pursues the goals of the essential Freedom to Write idea: to support writers' freedom of expression and to promote access to their writing globally.
PEN America’s Los Angeles office seeks a diligent, detail-oriented, and energetic Intern for a remote internship that will provide experience in the administration, research, and curation of digital literary and human rights programming as the organization expands and enriches its advocacy during the current pandemic. All Los Angeles staff will be working from home for the duration of the internship.
The programs of PEN America, Los Angeles include a portfolio of new, digital efforts that further the organization’s mission of uniting writers and their allies to celebrate free expression and defend the liberties that make it possible. The organization’s post-COVID pivot has centered on community-building, resource-sharing, advocacy work, and the publication of timely information and tools on issues affecting writers. Programming has included the curation and publication of online gatherings, trainings, interviews, live streamed events, original short form essays, recommendations, advocacy initiatives, as well lists and resources. Working closely with the Los Angeles staff, the Intern will also support the longstanding PEN Emerging Voices Fellowship. The intern will gain exposure to Los Angeles’ vibrant cultural landscape by assisting with communications and outreach to the program’s fellows, partners, alumni, and affiliates.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Interns will assist with a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- Supporting PEN America’s programming with research, including literary and organizational list maintenance; drafting and copy-editing invites, newsletters, and other correspondence.
- Planning, developing, and implementing digital programs for a diverse audience including, but not limited to, talks, performances, and special projects.
- Creating marketing materials for upcoming programs, such as web copy, programs, and social media messaging and graphics.
- Scheduling social media campaigns and digital calls and events.
- Working with PEN America Los Angeles staff on post-event follow-up, including evaluation, email list management, database updates, and post-program debriefs.
- Excellent communication, writing, research, and copy editing skills.
- Demonstrated capability to work both independently as well as in a group; to prioritize, handle multiple tasks, and adhere to deadlines.
- Willing to manage a range of administrative tasks, such as data entry.
- Ability to create original digital media content and promotional materials
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Google Drive, and social media; experience with Wordpress, MailChimp, Canva, and Adobe Creative Suite is strongly preferred.
- Interest in free expression, literature, cultural programming, human rights, nonprofit sector, and/or advocacy.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter (one-page maximum) and resume to Jenn Dees, Programs Manager, at email@example.com with the subject line “PEN America Los Angeles Internship.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.