Who is Eligible
The following organizations are eligible to apply to the Arts Internship Program, provided they meet the requirements listed below:
- Nonprofit performing, presenting, film, media, arts service, and literary arts organizations that are not part of a college or university.
- Local arts agencies (501(c)(3) or municipal) in Los Angeles County that provide arts programs and services to municipal constituencies.
- Municipal performing arts organizations
- Organizations awarded a Community Impact Arts Grant (CIAG) by the Department in 2016-2022
Nonprofit Arts Organizations
Nonprofit arts organizations that:
- Possess 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status as defined by the IRS for at least two years;
- Have principal offices in the County of Los Angeles;
- Have a primary mission to provide arts programming or services in the County of Los Angeles;
- Have a functioning board of directors that meets regularly with at least 51% of members residing in California;
- Have been in existence for at least two consecutive years and have produced during that period no less than four public performances or programs each fiscal year.
- Comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances, including but not limited to those which bar discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, condition of physical or mental disability or marital status or political affiliation.
- Comply with Fair Labor Standards and pay professional performers, artists and supporting personnel at least the minimum level of compensation paid to people employed in similar activities.
Model A fiscal sponsors may apply on behalf of multiple sponsored organizations that otherwise meet eligibility requirements. Newly applying or newly returning organizations with fiscal sponsors will be asked to provide a copy of the agreement or verification letter from the sponsor, along with the sponsor’s most recent 990 listing a state of California address. The fiscal sponsor is the applicant of record and must be willing to handle all contracting and fiscal obligations.
Municipalities/Local Arts Agencies/Municipal Performing Arts
Municipalities/local arts agencies/municipal performing arts organizations must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Serve as an agency of city government, officially designated by local government to provide programs, services, and/or financial services to a variety of arts organizations, individual artists and the community as a whole.
Community Impact Arts Grant (CIAG) Grantees
Community Impact Arts Grant (CIAG) grantees may apply if they:
- Were awarded a CIAG grant between July 1, 2016 and September 30, 2022.
- Currently engage in arts programming and propose an intern project rooted in arts programming
- Have successfully completed all CIAG requirements (reports, invoicing, etc.) to date
Who is Not Eligible
- Museums and visual arts organizations;
- Arts organizations, departments and programs that are part of a college or university.
Museums and visual arts organizations may be eligible to apply to the Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship Program