Research and evaluation are core competencies at the LA County Arts Commission, as central to the mission as grantmaking, arts education, civic art, professional development and communications. This is a report on our 2016-17 Research and Evaluation Plan: what we did and why, and some key lessons learned along the way.
- Both quantitative and qualitative methods are necessary
- Data skills and knowledge vary widely in the arts, and services to the field should reflect that fact
- Program staff and artists can be effective data collectors but only if their tasks are carefully structured and managed
- Investments in R&E skills and tools pay off for the entire organization
- Public engagement is a critical component of research and evaluation in the arts