(Above) "Grow, but Never Grow Up" by Nate Frizzell.
The Countywide Cultural Policy provides direction and guidelines for how Los Angeles County and its departments will ensure that every resident of LA County has meaningful access to arts and culture. The intent of the policy is to foster an organizational culture that values and celebrates arts, culture, and creativity; strengthens cultural equity and inclusion; and integrates arts and culture in LA County strategies to achieve the highest potential of communities and constituents across all aspects of civic life.
Cultural Policy Implementation Process
- Staff engaged in preliminary research to review existing policies or plans from other jurisdictions, and to identify models/best practices that can be used to inform our process.
- A Request for Proposals was released by late summer 2019 to secure a consultant who would identify a process that best engaged stakeholders in development of a region-wide Cultural Policy.
- Department staff and consultant Soluna Group reviewed existing policies and research, engaged stakeholders, and developed the policy framework.
- The completed policy was submitted to the LA County Audit Committee for review in February 2020.
- Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda L. Solis introduced a motion, co-authored by Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, to adopt the policy at the June 23, 2020 Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors meeting, where it was unanimously adopted by the Board.